We know that this digital world is constantly evolving and if you’re not up to date, it’s easy to fall behind. The usage of digital video content in digital marketing strategies is one of the main aspects responsible for promoting new technologies and aligning content with users. This also is one of the preferred methods for users when searching for entertainment, products, services or information around a specific topic.
The importance of optimising your content and strategising it accordingly can help enhance your SEO on a large scale by providing value of your content to Google. Here are some quick and important facts you should know about video content marketing:
- According to Cisco by 2020, the internet’s online traffic will increase by 82%.
- The number of people who view videos on the internet is 86%.
- Some companies that have adopted the strategy of video content marketing have improved their conversion rate by 72%.
- 83% of the companies report that video content marketing generates a good return on investment (ROI).
What is video SEO?
As with traditional SEO strategy, when optimising video content for SEO, the idea is to implement several techniques that allow you to rank better for videos and pages containing videos. In addition, all the websites can rank the video tab on search browsers but not all can rank on the universal search with a video. The authority of your website plays a big role in ranking higher with universal search, by verifying if the content is video-focused and how it ranks for video-related terms.
How has the impact of video optimisation been and how does Google classify them?
The popularity of video content creation has grown in recent years. With social media and the constant evolution of smartphones and digital cameras, people feel they have access to producing and publishing video content at a much quicker rate. Besides this, videos improve user experience by communicating everything that people like by combining movement, visuals and sounds.
For Google to provide the most content for users, it calculates what might be the most relevant for search browsers. Optimising the video with the correct search query and the right description by providing an appealing summary of what can be expected in the video helps Google prioritise the rankings.
Another important point is the information that is provided in the actual video. On YouTube, it’s very common to find videos with misleading titles and descriptions which in the video content world are considered clickbait. This type of content usually has a high bounce rate bringing the video down in the rankings. By creating content and placing keywords with high search volume in your titles or descriptions just to attract the attention of the public is a practice repudiated by Google, YouTube and other search engines.
How to optimise your video content?
- Ideally, you want to conduct keyword research just like in text content – keywords are also important for SEO video strategy.
- Create a channel on YouTube. According to Searchmetrics, 82% of the videos appeared on Google’s universal search.
- Google values on webpages contain at least one video. So be sure to include videos on relevant pages or posts.
- The thumbnail is a preview of what’s in your video and is often key to attract clicks by users. It works like a business card and can attract or drive viewers.
- Create engaging titles and descriptions. Video titles and descriptions should be compelling to drive clicks and consistency with content. They need to be objective and the content theme needs to be summarised for Google’s algorithms.
- A responsive and mobile-friendly website.
- Generate backlinks to reach more people and improve rankings.
- Create evergreen content which means that even in a couple of years will catch the eye of any reader.
- Create sitemaps for your pages. It’s crucial to get your video indexed by search engines.
- Encourage users to comment, share and like the content.
Video content is becoming increasingly popular and by keeping up to date with what’s new, trending and the user intent will be key to being one step ahead of your competitors and achieving your goals. The key takeaway is to always create quality content that drives more traffic and views to your websites and channels.
Get in touch with us to find out how you can get the most out of your video content strategies.